Thursday 22 November 2012

Growing up Hedonist-style

For some reason I've been looking back on my teenage years lately. My poor mom had her hands full, raising a volatile rebellious version of me by herself and I certainly did not make it easy for her. She never fully knew what I was up to, until years later (over a glass or two of wine) I answered some of her more prying questions. But I suppose the things she did get wind of, were probably stressful enough at the time.

 

My top 5 classic Teenage-Hedonist moments:

 

1. Sex Ed. 

I suppose I was about 13 when our school had a 2 day special Sex education programme. Many topics were discussed in a typical European manner; one where children are encouraged to be open and honest, the aim being to instill tolerance for all things different. After a particularly long discussion in class about what we can and cannot discuss with our parents, I felt liberated. Plus I was already quite rebellious with a "don't give a fuck what anyone thinks" attitude. Upon coming home, I decided to strike up a conversation.

"Mom, if I was a lesbian, what would you say?"

"What am I supposed to say. You are what you are."

"Wouldn't you mind?"

"No. Why are you asking?"

"Oh we had this discussion thing in school. About tolerance and stuff."

....

"Mom, what do you think about oral sex?"

*spluttering, coughing noise*

"Err, you're too young!"

"Yeah ok, but do you think it's right or wrong?"

*awkward silence*

"Well would you do it?"

*Mom turns bright red*

"That's something everyone should decide for themselves."

I never got my answer....

 

2. Extra-curricular Activities

I grew up in a small, boring town with about 100,000 inhabitants. As a result the town centre was particularly unexciting and had a poor selection of shops. But when I was 14 or 15, something exciting opened up, just a bit outside the normal shopping zone. Just a bit further from view, but it didn't go unnoticed. Something with shiny latex outfits in the window, yet minus the seedy neon "Sex shop" sign.

Due to the lacklustre shopping avenues in our home town, of course us teenage girls would often take a train to a larger city nearby to do our shopping. One where dimly lit "Sex Shops" were nothing unusual. Those were scary looking from the outside though, the windows were darkened so you couldn't look inside. And until you'd set foot in one you wouldn't know what was in there. So I'd never been in one.

This new, bright and airy shop with the kinky clothes was different and not so scary at all. Basically like Ann Summers, an entirely new concept to me at the time.

After noticing this shop on a previous trip to the town centre. One day I waited until the street was empty and ventured inside. I was a naive teen and a virgin. And I came home with my first little vibrator (the big ones just seemed impossible). Once I had paid I excitedly took the opaque plastic bag I was handed with this much coveted possession and left the shop. I was so over the moon that it didn't bother me much that a builder loitering outside made a particularly rude remark. Not bothering with a comeback, I simply gave him the finger and walked off smiling.

 

3. My 12th Birthday. 

Not quite teenage, granted. But the story fits in as being fairly embarrassing.
Let me start by saying my mother wasn't a nudist; far from it. But I wasn't brought up to be ashamed of nudity either and it wasn't until I hit puberty that I had any issues changing in front of her, and vice versa. So yes, this may seem shocking to some people but I've seen my mother naked. But during the previous few months something else new did happen. Mom had started dating. For the first time since my dad passed when I was just a toddler, it wasn't just us girls.

On the morning of my 12th Birthday:

"Happy birthday, darling. What would you like for breakfast?"

"Meh."

"What's wrong, why so grumpy?"

"You woke me, you know."

*Mom giving me the WTF raised eyebrow look*

"You, and your boyfriend! I woke up and heard something really weird. It was freaking me out. Like sort of howling."

*Mom turning pink*

"I got up to figure out where the racket was coming from, opened your door..."

*awkward silence*

"How could you! On MY birthday!" 

That morning, after the first time her boyfriend spent the night, I discovered that my mother is a screamer. And my biggest worry was that she had disturbed my sleep on my birthday.

 

4. Stern instruction

I was a bit of a late bloomer when it came to boys. Apparently being a Goth was a fairly effective form of contraception in my school. My first boyfriend therefore didn't go to my school at all. In fact he wasn't in school anymore. And he wasn't in the same country either.

I had an internet relationship with a guy 6 years older than me starting at age 15. When I was 16, he finally visited. Bearing in mind that I had just picked him up at the airport by myself, by train, and we'd spent about 1 hour face to face in total, coming home to face my mother was frankly the least of my worries. (Just to clarify; yes she knew and she agreed that he could stay. Us Europeans are cool that way.)

So while she offered him tea, he went to unpack his stuff to take out the various gifts and things he had brought for me. Some of it was clothes, prompting mom and him both to cheer: "Try it on! Try it on!".

No sooner had I stepped out of the living room and closed the door in order to change in the hallway, I hear mom put on the distinctive voice she uses when she's trying to be an authority figure.

"Please, whatever you do, use a condom!"

"Err.. Ma'm.. we're not.."

"Whatever, use a condom. I do not want my daughter pregnant. She's only 16."
 
I nearly died laughing in the hallway. At that point, we hadn't even had our first kiss.

 

5. Busted

So as you've already read above. I had decided at around 15, that I wanted to try out vibrators. I was exploring my body and I really wanted to give myself an orgasm. One wasn't quite enough, because it was a fairly simple one. I especially went back to the same shop and had them order one in that was different, waterproof.

I anyway love to take long showers, that day it was even longer. I experimented and did my best with the new toy. I didn't quite cum but it was interesting. I vowed to try that again until I would succeed.

Later that same evening the conversation went something like this:

"May I make a request." *grumpy expression*

"What, mom?"

"Don't leave your... THINGS... in the shower."

"What?"

"Your thing. Your fake PENIS."

"Oh."


2 comments:

  1. You are hilarious. I like your clean, unabashed, no fuss, in your face approach style of writing.

    You're a very honest woman.

    You should check out my blogs. I think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you very much. Will definitely check out yours as well :)

      Delete